Friday, December 13, 2013

Friends that don't help you climb, want you to crawl.

Every day owning a business brings something new, meeting someone, learning something, no two days are ever the same. While being a small business in a small town is in itself a challenge, overcoming the negativity is by far the biggest obstacle. I don't know what it is about small towns, much as I love them, many people don't want to see anyone succeed. It seems the more successful people become, the more negativity is spread about them or the harder people try to sabotage that success.
“The less you associate with some people, the more your life will improve. Any time you tolerate mediocrity in others, it increases your mediocrity. An important attribute in successful people is their impatience with negative thinking and negative acting people. As you grow, your associates will change. Some of your friends will not want you to go on. They will want you to stay where they are. Friends that don't help you climb will want you to
crawl. Your friends will stretch your vision or choke your dream. Those that don't increase you will eventually decrease you" ~ Colin Powell

It saddens me that people don't understand that success only comes with hard work and there is plenty to go around. One persons success does not eliminate anothers chances at it. I personally don't wish failure upon anyone. There is nothing good about anyone failing and I cannot find happiness in the disappointments of others, friend or foe. I know not to worry about what others say, my philosophy  has always been, 'What other people think of me, is none of my business' but sometimes it's really hard to drowned out all the noise, particularly in a small community where gossip is the judge and jury.  While it may hurt hearing or seeing things that are said and done, I put on a happy face and tune it out because I know eventually it will die down. Don't feed the beast!  I'm passionate about what I do and I firmly believe anyone can reach their dreams if they try hard enough. I know not everyone will always understand what I do or why I want to do it. I realize some people are just simply jealous that I am trying with all I have, when they lack the ambition to attempt to change their own lives. But, I also know I cannot and do not need to please everyone all of the time nor do I need the world backing me. I have the support I need and find I am meeting new people, new friends and mentors along my journey who truly understand what it is like to have a dream and be determined to fulfill it. It is their support and encouragement who help me on my darker days. Life is too short not to follow your dreams. We never look back in regret on the things we did in life, but more often on the things we did not. I don't want to have regrets. Every day is a new day and a chance to follow that dream. I will not be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment